Monday, December 15, 2008

Experience vs. Skills

How does one judge if a writer is good or not. I guess judging this in writing is much easier than in any other field.



I am new to the field of technical writing, relatively new. I would be wrong if I say that I am extremely good at writing. I have a cumulative experience of 2 years working as a Technical writer. How does a country produce good writers, isn’t it by encouraging the seasoned writers to give these writers a chance?



I read the opportunity for the TWIN e-book on one of baby forums. I was excited just to see and understand the lifecycle of this opportunity. I noticed the project on the 8th of December, and I think I was late in replying by the 10th. I am a part of the TWIN-India portal since 1 year but did not receive the mail and could not be a part of this beautiful project. I was disappointed not to be a part of this but excited that the aim of the project was to help combine a humongous collection of articles.



The project posted and the team was to produce this. The team has put in great efforts to get this product out in the open. It is a great read and nicely done. I really appreciate the patience and efforts put in by the team.



My disappointments though remain that not many young writers were involved in this project. This could have benefited many writers had they got an opportunity to participate. This would be a learning opportunity for many, meeting many experienced writers. Being among people like Guru, Anindita, Swaminathan Moorthy, and many more. They could have learned many writing tricks and tips.



I wish the team would have made this oppurtnity more visible and approachable. The only thing writers like me can expect is another golden opportunity like this where assistance is desired. I look forward to being part of the TWIN team in the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Shweta,

Well, I guess there is always a next time :)

This is just Part 1 of the e-Book, I am sure there are more volumes to come.

We need more Volunteers like you.

Please get in touch with other volunteers and express your interest to them.

All the best :)

-Saravanan (http://rubricate.wordpress.com)